Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Worry Warts

I have a problem.  I worry so much that my worries can keep me awake and make me physically sick.  I don't like worrying.  I really a very happy person and these worries just interfere.  So I decided I needed that combating all my negative thoughts is just not enough in this battle.  I found this self help guide http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm and the first step to stop worrying really hit me hard -in fact I laughed because it had me pegged.  Almost all my worries stem from uncertainty.  Perhaps it because I am in my 20s and things are going to happen during this decade of life.  Regardless of the underlying cause, I am plagued by uncertainty.  But life itself is uncertain nothing is guaranteed but that doesn't mean life is unhappy.  Life is beautiful and mysterious.  I can't control it and that's okay.  I need to just accept the day-by-day.  I am no fortune teller and pretending to be one doesn't really calm my uncertainties.  Instead of worrying about where I'll be after college or if my romantic/family/personal relationships will work forever, I need to just be grateful for what I have now.  So I'm going to share a small list of my uncertain fears and ways to fight back.
Fears:
Never owning a house vs. today i have shelter over my head and I will have shelter and a home tomorrow and the day after.
Dying an old maid vs. I am in love with a wonderful man who loves me back.
Never living comfortably vs. I have seen that in direst of financial situations there is still happiness and love
Never having a family vs. Well today I am not ready for my own family in fact if all the sudden I had one it would be quite overwhelming as uncertain as this wish is.  I should never worry about this because I won't want a family until I'm in a position to have one which is not today.
I feel better for now.  I know that dealing with uncertainty will be my biggest battle for worrying.  I live in the future which is all uncertain.  I'm going to strive to live day by day and just enjoy all the causes for happiness in my life instead of worrying about loosing them.  The world could end tomorrow so I'll just make the most of today and not worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment